The first pumpkin pie
Holiday times are times when we get together with our friends and loved ones to have good food and good company. That includes lots of sweet and rich foods. Its fun to try some new recipes. Instead of traditional pumpkin pie why not try something new this holiday season.
1 medium pie pumpkin (about 5-7 pounds)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 apples or pears, cut into rough 1 inch cubes
1 ¼ cup brown sugar, divided
1 vanilla bean
2 sticks cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg plus more for topping
3 pieces star anise
½ teaspoon black pepper
Zest of a small orange, removed with a vegetable peeler
1 cup heavy cream
12 ounce evaporated milk
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
2. Cut the top off the pumpkin and hollow it out, removing the seeds and stringy
3. Stir together the salt and ¼ cup brown sugar. Rub that mixture all along the
cavity of the pumpkin. Put the pumpkin on baking sheet and roast it in the oven
for 2 hours.
4. While the pumpkin bakes, whisk together the remaining ingredients. I like to
keep the cinnamon stick, star anise and orange zest whole. It’s fun to find them in
the finished custard and I like the way they perfume the pie when left whole.
5. Bring the pumpkin out of the oven and pour the uncooked custard inside its
cavity. Then place the cinnamon stick, star anise and orange zest in custard
6. Lower the heat to 350 and bake another hour. The custard should be set and the
top should be brown.
7. Let the pie cool for 30 minutes before serving in slices
Happy Lifting and Strive to Arrive!
Leave a Reply.